Follow on Twitter: @dundeepc1893
Instagram - one_eight_nine_three

Wednesday, 15 July 2009

Dundee v Celtic, League Cup Final, 1967

It seems natural to follow the semi-final of the League Cup with the final programme. Celtic won the game 5-3 in what was, at that point, the joint highest scoring final, along with Celtic's 7-1 thrashing of Rangers 10 years earlier. There were 66,660 at the game to witness the goal feast.

As we read the first few pages, the format is the same as the Saints semi-final programme with pen pics and then the probable line ups. Again it seems 2-3-5 is all the rage! Although, Dundee would actually use a 4-2-4. There's no mention of Jocky this time in the potential line ups.

Towards the end of the programme there is an article headed: "Vital Matches Loom Ahead".

"Celtic and Dundee have vital commitments outwith the domestic scene facing them...Celtic in the glamorous second leg of their World Club Championship with Racing, of the Argentine, in Buenos Aires next Wednesday, and Dundee against Royal F.C. of Liege in their Fairs Cities' Cup tie at Dens Park, also on Wednesday. Dundee are due to play their second leg in Belgium on November 14.
All Scotland will turn eyes with hope towards both finalists convinced they can bring further honour to the game here by once again superimposing their skill on the foreign thrust"

As it turns out, Dundee won their tie 7-2 on aggregate but Celtic were beaten (quite literally) in the second leg of the World Clubs' Cup. They would also lose the replay in Montevideo.

I'll leave you with the account of the 1910 Scottish Cup final between Dundee and Clyde found on the inside back page.

"...Dundee never give up, and they will take you back to their legendary Scottish Cup final with Clyde in 1909-10 for proof of this, if such be needed...
Six minutes to go. Five minutes to go. Clyde leading 2-0. Congratulations all round. Then a roar. What? Dundee had scored-well not exactly; Clyde had scored against themselves. George Robertson, left-half in making a clearance, banged the ball against team-mate Jimmy Blair and it rebounded into the net before George M'Turk could make shape at retrieving the disaster.
For disaster it was. Glimpsing a forlorn chance of saving the tie. Dundee forwards and half-backs staged one heroic attack. George Langlands had the great and glorious honour of registering an equalising goal almost as the final whistle sounded."

The rest, as they say, is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment